Monday, June 14, 2010

It has been so long, should I re-introduce myself to you?


I can't believe how long it has been since I last visited with you. Like I mentioned before, summer is killing me, and it officially isn't here yet. Trying to juggle the last month of school, all the field trips and adjusted school hours, with the 3 little ones I am watching, let me just say, I can't wait till school is out for the summer. How can schools expect parents to rearrange their work schedule by 3 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon? I have been walking with Neve and Nolan to the school to pick Luiza up, 3 days a week. There is no way Sarah could take the time off work to do it.

I FINISHED PROJECT #7 ~ Rosebud Hat. This hat was SO easy. I knit the 32 roses and the 27 leaves in 2 evenings. The hat should have been done in a couple days, but, as usual, I got sidetracked and ended up reading "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter", by Seth Grahame-Smith. Loved the book. For some reason I didn't see the end coming.

When I finished reading this book, I was on a reading roll. I decided to glance at "Foxy" by Pam Grier. I thought I would peek at the pictures, but before I knew it, I had read this book, too.

Here I go again, getting sidetracked. Back to the hat, I made it in the largest size. It fits my 6 year old granddaughters. However, try to get 6 year olds to sit still long enough to take their picture. So, these models will have to do.

This week I hope to finish my scarf, knit with the Banana Silk. This is the yarn that smells like an old musty canvas army tent. Reminds me of camping with my family. I am half way done. It is only 14 stitches wide. This pattern is fun, K1 *(yo, k2tog)* K1. *repeat until last stitch. Once this scarf is finished, I will start the Lion and Elephant reversible doll from "itty bitty toys", page 143.

4 comments:

Sasa said...

Woo Hoo!! You got it done! So when can I expect one too???? (tee hee)

Anonymous said...

Very cute hat. Just one thing: school is not the babysitter. It is not the job of the teacher/school to keep hours convenient to the parent/grandparent/caregiver. If teachers were paid as babysitters, they'd make a LOT more money than they do now!

barb said...

Dear Anonymous, I hope I didn't offend you. I TOTALLY agree with you. A teacher is the most underpaid, under-appreciated profession. Without teachers there wouldn't be doctors, lawyers, THE PRESIDENT, yet they make a fraction of the amount of money. I would say most people go into teaching because they want to make a difference in our children. We know they don't do it for the money. I could never teach. The children might be wonderful, but I don't know how teachers deal with parents.
My frustration about this week, I am caregiver for my 5 grandchildren. One is in all day kindergarten, one is in afternoon kindergarten, and 3 are with me all day. The afternoon kindergartner has had 3 field trips this last week of school. Normally she goes from 1:00pm to 4:00pm. Monday she had to be there at 9:30am until 12:30pm, Wednesday from 9:00am until 2:30pm, and Friday 9:30am until 12:15pm. These times are critical. Being a stay at home grammie, I don't have a car during the day. So I have to walk the mile to and from school with the 3 little ones, ran or shine. The 3 year old can't walk the 4 miles. The baby can't sit in a wagon. Today when I pick Luiza up, I will also have to bring home her booster seat. The mothers and fathers cannot take time off work to accommodate the time change. They use their sick days for their sick kids.
I sure don't expect teachers to act a babysitters, I just wish the hours the kindergartner goes to school wouldn't be altered. Especially, 3 days in one week.
If you are a teacher, God bless you. We are indebted to you for all you do for our children.

Susan B. Anderson said...

Your work is beautiful! Love your rosebud hat:)
susan b anderson