Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wow, has life changed.


I can't believe how different life is when you get older. When I was starting my family, sleep wasn't in my vocabulary. Now granted, I had just turned 19 when my daughter was born and was 21 when my son came along. Back then, it was nothing to pull allnighters. I remember doing all my housework, sewing, decorating between the hours of 12:00 am and 4:00 am. I would go to sleep from 4:00 am to 7:00 am. I didn't do that every night, but that was my life more often than not. Let me clarify that a bit, housework was done when it got done, IF it got done. My house was clean but often messy. I loved sewing for my family: the kid's clothes, my husband's flannel shirts, my clothes, slippers for friends and relatives, crafts for each holiday. I seemed to get more done in those wee hours of the night/morning than if I tried to do it while the children were awake. Now, if I am not in bed by 9:30 pm, which rarely happens, chances are you will catch me sleeping at the dining room table. Not a pretty sight.
I was hoping with school back in session, that I would get into a very productive routine. Nope!
I didn't take into consideration that when school started back up, Nolan would be in full crawling mode. In the summer, little man was happy to sit in his bouncy chair, sit on my lap, jump in his "Johnny Jump-up". Now, he is rarely in the same room for more than 2 minutes. He is the speediest crawler I have had the pleasure of knowing. The fact that he is trying to keep up with 4 little girls might explain it. And I would love to know who told Nolan that naps are optional. Anyway.......with all that said, I was finding it very hard to find the time to knit.

A few weeks ago I decided to take a Saturday and do nothing, EXCEPT, things that were knitting related. My son had given me a gift certificate to a fantastic knit shop in Detroit called "City Knits". I called my dear friend, Lisa, to see if she wanted to go with me. She had never been to this shop. It is in the old historic Fisher Building. The architecture is mind boggling. From the minute you touch the ornate handle on the door, walk into the lobby and look up to see the carvings and paintings on the walls and ceilings, you can almost feel what it must have been like in the 1940's and 50's. Then when you go into each little shop in the building, it again, takes you back in time. City Knits has so much packed into a small space. I love the yarn selection, but what I REALLY love is their selection of books. I feel like I am at the library every time I sit down at the little nook to look thru the books. Lisa swore she wasn't going to look, let alone buy, anything. She brought along her knitting. I felt bad that she was going to knit while I spent ages looking for ways to spend my gift certificate. As she was walking to the table, to join other knitters, she was stopped by EVERYONE in the shop. She was carrying an adorable felted purse she had knit. For the next HOUR, Lisa and her purse were the talk of the shop. It was hysterical. I loved it. I think it was me who had to wait for her to stop talking with all the other knitters about her purse. I had made my purchase and then joined Lisa at the table. Oh, if you would like to see Lisa's purse, she is Sasa6 on Ravelry. The purse pattern is called, "B4 Bag" by Trish Bloom. By the way, look at what I bought with part of my gift certificate.


Fall is my favorite time of the year. I love the colors, I love the temperatures, I love the smell in the morning. I used to love the smell of burning leaves, now that is just a memory.
Last weekend I brought in the outside plants that I will try to save all winter. We had a really warm week, 90 degrees, after weeks of 60-70 degree temps. My grape tomatoes started blooming again. I am sure nothing will happen, but, I brought the plant in. Time will tell.


I started 2 clippings from leaves that were laying in the parking lot at Eastern Market, in Detroit. I think they are going to make it.


Basil, Rosemary, and Oregano. Need I say more?

A little of this, a little of that.


My favorite, Hens and Chicks.

Ok, let's get to knitting, I mentioned the last time I posted that I was going to make my reversible Lion and Elephant a misfit toy, since I didn't like the way the yarn was striping. Well, I have now kinda fallen in love with the lion. I don't know why. Nothing has changed, but he is growing on me. It will all depend on how his expression turns out. If I like his face, I am not going to use the yarn I had originally bought for the elephant. Until I find the perfect yarn, the elephant will be on hold

I was watching the PBS show, "Knit and Crochet, Today", and decided to crochet the Filigree Bowl they were demonstrating. I can't believe how fast *I* crocheted it. It only took me hours, not days. The stiffening with sugar water took 3 days to dry. I love it.


I also made 2 more of Susan Anderson's "Egg to Bluebird and a Little Nest, too". My neighbor has been hinting for one for ages. I was making mine and I mentioned it. She looked so excited, I had to surprise her with it. Then, I started mine, DONE IN 2 DAYS!!!! I do not knit fast. That thrilled me.



I am sure most of you tried to win the giveaway on Susan Anderson's blog last week. She was giving away 10 copies of "knitsimple Holiday 2010". One lucky person was also to get yarn to make one of the wonderful animals in the magazine. Of course I commented, hoping to win a copy of the magazine. Then, I PANICKED! I thought, what are the chances of me winning? And with Susan's new animals featured in the magazine, most likely it will sell out as soon as it hits the stands. So, I immediately went to the website and ordered my copy of the holiday issue. I don't even care that I paid twice the price. I now own the magazine and can't wait to make the Hedgehog/Squirrel reversible toy. And the Owls, oh my gosh. OH, the fox. Let's face it, anything Susan designs, DARLING!


I also bought this used book. There are some very cool looking patterns in it.

Like I said earlier, fall is my favorite time of the year. I forgot to mention that I loved apple picking, pumpkins, cider mill donuts, and decorating my dining room. However, I am not into decorating for Halloween, just fall.


4 comments:

Sasa said...

Oh! I LOVE that bowl! You'll have to show me how it's done . . .

and when are we going BACK to City Knits??? HMMMM???? Just askin' . . . .

LY

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear back from you after all this time! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your knits as they come along

barb said...

THANK YOU for talking to me. I was afraid I had lost all my friends. I will try MUCH harder to post, at least, weekly.

barb

Heidi said...

I check your blog on a regular basis.
I rarely comment, but wanted you to know there are probably others like me that check in but fail to show how much we enjoy your blog. Glad you're back!